Believe it or not, dentistry can be fun! We do take our jobs seriously, but sometimes we can have some fun and a good chuckle.
Fun Dental Facts
- A typical elephant’s molar weighs nearly nine pounds
- In 1994, a West Virginia prison inmate braided dental floss into a rope to escape!
- The first toothbrush with animal hair bristles was made in China in 1498.
- A snail’s mouth is no larger than the head of a pin, but can have 25,000 teeth inside!
- Some of the world’s most choked on objects are toothpicks! Be cautious when picking your teeth or holding one in your mouth.
- Like cows, humans actually chew side to side—not just up and down.
- In North America, over 3 million miles of dental floss are purchased each year… Enough to circle Earth 120 times!
- When you skip flossing, you’re missing 35% of your teeth’s surface area!
- The first modern(ish) braces were constructed in France in 1728. They were made from metal and string.
- The enamel on the top surface on your tooth is the hardest part of your entire body
- An average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- In Medieval Germany, the only cure for a toothache was to kiss a donkey.
- The average woman smiles about 62 times per day! A man? Only 8.
- The average person spends about 48 seconds per day brushing their teeth, but dentists recommend at least 2 or 3 minutes.
Thanks for trusting us to keep your mouth and teeth healthy!
For more dental trivia and facts visit the Canadian Dental Association.
- Veneers vs. Crowns: What’s The Difference? - January 26, 2023
- Tips To Save Money On Dental Insurance Coverage - December 28, 2022
- How To Get Rid Of Yellow Teeth: Three Options To Consider - November 30, 2022